Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:33 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: £80 million
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm 
Rock Star

Golly gosh that's an awful lot of money.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 094720.stm

Post subject: Re: £80 million
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:32 pm 
Star

Overrated by far.

I simply could not have put up with another summer of will he won't he still be at Man U!

Let's hope Fergie puts it's to good use like buying Tevez once and for all.

I shan't be sorry to see him go, and I support Man U!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:42 pm 
Web-Site Admin

That values him at approximately just 20 million less than Newcastle United.

The game's gone mad. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 pm 
Rock Star

They could have had me for a mere 5 million :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:46 pm 
Star

Crazy.

To be honest the guy did nothing for Man U last year and was a shadow of the player from the previous season - for me, it was an attempt to force Uniteds hand should such a ridiculous offer come up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:22 pm 
Top of the pops

Vastly overrated diving poofter, deserving to have his head trampled on his next dive..... Good ridance, adieu, arrivederchi.

However Martin I would suggest that he may be valued at somewhat more that the entire Newcastle club as they now ply their trade in the lower reaches of English football, just above oblivion level. Look what happened to Leeds......

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Whereas the starting bid for a mighty club like Dundee United would be closer to a couple of packets of tabs and a bottle of Irn Bru I suppose.... :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm 
Star

Tanny can you explain to me what you mean by 'a diving poofter'. Emphasis being on the last word?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 pm 
Top of the pops

[quote="tanny"]Vastly overrated diving poofter, deserving to have his head trampled on his next dive..... Good ridance, adieu, arrivederchi.

I am not exactly sure why he is being called a diving poofter?. Obviously its meant as an insult, to whom I am not so sure, I know I certainly find it offensive. Using sexuality as a weapon to abuse or insult is in itself extremely offensive. Labelling people in such a manner seems to merely foster an attitude of hatred and intolerance.

I personally have no idea as to his sexuality, and could care less. Perhaps because he is deemed a 'pretty boy' by some in the media this in some way makes him gay, well if thats the criteria, then I guess having just looked in the mirror I should be heterosexual.

Being gay is not a choice, its not a fashion statement and it most certainly is not something that should be used as a stick with which to beat someone. People who do this tend to have shortcomings in their own life, or issues which they need to deal with.

Its not a case of being uptight, not taking a joke etc, those sort of remarks are not funny, however if that is the tone of the forum then I for one will excuse myself & abstain from posting as I have heard enough homophobic 'jokes', remarks, slurs & general insults to last me a lifetime. There is a huge difference between light hearted banter,or joking, which we all engage in, me most of all, and that sort of remark.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:31 pm 
Top of the pops

Nice little profit for Man. Utd.

He signed for £12.24 million in 2003.
Sold to Real Madrid for£80.00 million in 2009.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:12 pm 
Star

Wooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

I know Tanny will be along soon to fight his own corner. However, please can we get off the high PC box. No doubt what he said was flippant, off the cuff, meant to cause no offence and is clearly being blown out of all proportion.

That's just my opinion, if I'm allowed one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:34 pm 
Rock Star

Paphosfan wrote:

I know Tanny will be along soon to fight his own corner. However, please can we get off the high PC box. No doubt what he said was flippant, off the cuff, meant to cause no offence and is clearly being blown out of all proportion.

:goodpost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm 
Top of the pops

Paphosfan wrote:

Of course you are allowed an opinion. However, so am I!. As a gay man, I do find comments like his offensive, and for good reason. Its not me getting on my high pc box, its me standing up for MY rights, and not having to listen to rubbish like that. Perhaps you ought to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has had to listen to cr*p like that for a very, very long time, then maybe you would not be so quick to judge. As to knowing what was meant, how do you know that?.

To answer the original point, I personally find it ridiculous that any player is worth so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:01 pm 
Rock Star

Tallulah Savage wrote:
Paphosfan wrote:

Of course you are allowed an opinion. However, so am I!. As a gay man, I do find comments like his offensive, and for good reason. Its not me getting on my high pc box, its me standing up for MY rights, and not having to listen to rubbish like that. Perhaps you ought to put yourself in the shoes of someone who has had to listen to cr*p like that for a very, very long time, then maybe you would not be so quick to judge. As to knowing what was meant, how do you know that?.

To answer the original point, I personally find it ridiculous that any player is worth so much.

I don't see why you find it offensive as it wasn't directed at you. Blondes are called dumb all the time and if someone used it as a throwaway remark about someone else I wouldn't be offended (not that I'm blonde anyway but just using an example). If someone called a bunch of drunken badly behaved women a bunch of slags or ladies I wouldn't find it offensive.

Personally I think you're looking for something that just isn't there.

Just my 2p worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:34 pm 
Top of the pops

Cuddly1 wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:
Paphosfan wrote:

I don't see why you find it offensive as it wasn't directed at you. Blondes are called dumb all the time and if someone used it as a throwaway remark about someone else I wouldn't be offended (not that I'm blonde anyway but just using an example). If someone called a bunch of drunken badly behaved women a bunch of slags or ladies I wouldn't find it offensive.

Personally I think you're looking for something that just isn't there.

Just my 2p worth.

tell me, have you ever been insulted and threatened for being heterosexual, presuming you are of course?. Have you ever had people make snide remarks such as watch your back here he comes?. Don't ever presume to know how someone else feels, and to think its ok for a peson to make an offensive remark and then pass it off as a joke, and if someone dislikes it then its their problem. personally I think you are a blinkered idiot, just my 2p worth of course, oh and of course its just a joke so you cant possibly get offended.When you have a greater understanding of the trouble remarks like poofter cause then please feel free to come back to me, someone who has been very much at the sharp end of shi8te like this. Walk in my shoes, then come back, until then don't even bother to write such nonsense. A drunken badly behaved woman chooses to act like that, how naive of you to compare, it really does hsow how little you understand my argument.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:17 pm 
Rock Star

So you want to be offended by someone using a word when it wasn't even directed at you yet you think it ok to call me a 'blinkered idiot' when you know absolutely nothing about me or my life?
What crass hypocrisy.

poofter - A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate

idiot - a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I tell you what, before you tell me to walk in your shoes try finding out about mine and what horrific problems I have had in my life then try a few steps in my shoes.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-2582.html

Clearly not all homosexual people even see it as offensive. Many even find it amusing.

A gay Virginia man has been told to remove his car licence plates that read ' POOFTER ' because authorities deem them offensive, although the word is rarely ........
reported in the Telegraph

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:28 pm 
Rock Star

Tallulah Savage wrote:
tell me, have you ever been insulted and threatened for being heterosexual, presuming you are of course?. Have you ever had people make snide remarks such as watch your back here he comes?.

To answer this bit of your post, yes I have, but not only have I been threatened by a bullying control freak man, he made an attempt on my life, merely because I told him I didn't want to take the relationship any further. I spent 2 years of my life scared to go out, I lost my business and my home and my health because of it so as the old saying goes, sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.
Get over yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:46 pm 
Top of the pops

Cuddly1 wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:
tell me, have you ever been insulted and threatened for being heterosexual, presuming you are of course?. Have you ever had people make snide remarks such as watch your back here he comes?.

To answer this bit of your post, yes I have, but not only have I been threatened by a bullying control freak man, he made an attempt on my life, merely because I told him I didn't want to take the relationship any further. I spent 2 years of my life scared to go out, I lost my business and my home and my health because of it so as the old saying goes, sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.
Get over yourself.

Oh then its just fine to use offensive slurs like poofter because apparently some people don't mind it, well let me tell you, I do mind, and I mind a great deal!. What a great pity that you don't use your life experiences to understand and empathise with people who have/ are subjected to bullying in various forms, instead the prisoner turns into the jaikler. Oh, and as unfortunate as your life has been, its a walk in the park compared to what many 'poofters' suffer, unfortunately,society doesnt seem to mind as much, living proof of that being exhibited on here. Oh please, the old trite saying about sticks and stones, well they may not hurt you, but they hurt others, again, don't judge others by your own standards. Oh and I got over myself a long time ago, listening to bigoted, homophobic, narrow minded people helped a great deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:52 pm 
Top of the pops

Cuddly1 wrote:
So you want to be offended by someone using a word when it wasn't even directed at you yet you think it ok to call me a 'blinkered idiot' when you know absolutely nothing about me or my life?
What crass hypocrisy.

poofter - A male homosexual, especially one who is effeminate

idiot - a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

I tell you what, before you tell me to walk in your shoes try finding out about mine and what horrific problems I have had in my life then try a few steps in my shoes.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-2582.html

Clearly not all homosexual people even see it as offensive. Many even find it amusing.

A gay Virginia man has been told to remove his car licence plates that read ' POOFTER ' because authorities deem them offensive, although the word is rarely ........
reported in the Telegraph

Nooooooooo, I don't want to be, but I was, is that okay?. Apparently not in your book it isn't.
So, you are an expert on homosexuals are you?. Wow, that is impressive. As a gay man I say again, I find it offensive, and neither you nor anyone else has the right to use a persons sexuality as a stick with which to beat them, like it, don't like it, either way I don't really care.
Oh dear, you seem to take my 'joke' as an offence, get my point now do you?. I think not. Please don't insult my intelligence, I know exactly what a poofter is, but thankyou anyway.
Hard life, oh dear, shall we share hard luck stories, after all that will once again detract from the original point, which once again I shall remind you, name calling such as poofter is OFFENSIVE AND UNACCEPTABLE IN TODAYS SOCIETY. Now, you can dress it up any way you like, but its still offensive, and no amount of smokescreening is going to change that. Now, try, just for a second, if you can, how awful it is to be treated as a leper by certain sections of society merely because of the way you were born, go on, try it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:56 pm 
Top of the pops

[quote="Cuddly1"]So you want to be offended by someone using a word when it wasn't even directed at you yet you think it ok to call me a 'blinkered idiot' when you know absolutely nothing about me or my life?
What crass hypocrisy.

But I was JOKING, so that makes it ok surely?. Still don't get my point?. Hmmmm?.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:58 pm 
Rock Star

Eh? An expert on homosexuals? Where did I say that. All I did was quote the dictionary definition.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:59 pm 
Star

Tanny you haven't answered my post.

But I have heard the expression used as a derogatory term to describe someone who is gay and I think this is what you meant when you described Ronaldo. Do you know personally that he is gay, and even if he is do you have a problem with that.

I personally find the term offensive, and totally uncalled for, and am surprised that Admin hasn't had something to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Oh, hang on, erm, the rest of my postings?. Oh no, lets ignore that shall we, damn this is like taking sweets from a child.
Oh and the expert bit, dont quote or copy and paste articles, its actually undermining your argument, but I suspect you wouldn't see that. Now I look forward to your response to EVERYTHING I wrote. Good evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:11 pm 
Top of the pops

OK guys - I have been watching this post closely, and have decided that for the rest of the night the post will be locked! I will take advice from Admin tomorrow as to whether the post will remain locked.

I feel it has gone far enough - and I would appreciate it if no further threads are started to carry on this discussion. If that occurs I will have no option but to warn the member posting.

Retirement - harder work than working - But much more fun

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ] 
Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body