Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:48 pm 
Top of the pops

The future is bright,
It's red and white !
Gary :greetings
:celebrate :celeb2 :clapping

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Top of the pops

Here is a clip from a respected journo with The Times. Might be of interest to Lookingbackwards who may have to bare his **** in Fenwick's window after all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Bent delivers striking case for England call-up

George Caulkin

THIS column rarely deals in facts. More often, it deals in emotion, conjecture, rumour, North East bias, low-grade humour, whimsy and annoyance. Frequently, it deals in errgror. Sorry, I mean error. There are some facts, however, that cannot be ignored and Darren Bent’s goalscoring record for Sunderland has long since approached that point, reached it and vaulted over it. So, this week ... the facts, ma’am; just the facts.

This is officially Darren Bent’s most productive season in the Barclays Premier League. Courtesy of the brace he nabbed against Birmingham City, the striker now has 20 league goals to his name, two more than the 18 he plundered for Charlton Athletic in 2005-06. In so doing, he became the first Sunderland player to reach that milestone since Kevin Phillips a decade earlier.

Ahead of Wednesday night’s match at Aston Villa, Bent had not missed a league game since joining Sunderland, meaning that he has been a paragon of reliability as well as prolificness. Over the course of a campaign that has seen his club spend the past three months in the bottom half of the table and fretting about relegation, he has not endured a longer spell of three league appearances without scoring.

Bent’s interventions matter. No player in the division has scored more often in the opening 15 minutes of games than he has, at a time when his opponents should theoretically be fit and fresh. He has scored goals against Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool - who still like to be known as the Big Four - and other top-10 sides in Everton and Birmingham City.

Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman in the Premier League to have struck with greater regularity than Bent this season and while Rooney is amongst the best players in the world, he also plays for what the league table says is the country’s best team. Even when Sunderland endured a spell of 14 games without a victory, Bent contributed six goals; in four of those matches, they directly earned draws.

Rooney has mustered 26 goals in a league that is described with monotonous regularity as the world’s best. Of the other four strikers Fabio Capello selected for international duty in the recent friendly against Egypt, Jermain Defoe has 17, including five against Wigan Athletic and three against Hull City, Carlon Cole has nine, Peter Crouch has five and Emile Heskey three.

So, in terms of form - and certainly in the context of the difficulties confronted by the club he represents - Bent’s record not only stands comparison with those of his peers, it is actually far superior, Rooney aside. Crouch’s league goals have come against Birmingham, Wigan, Blackburn Rovers and Fulham and Heskey’s against Burnley and Sunderland.

But form is not everything and, often in the past, mediocre players have enjoyed the type of seasons when everything they touch flies into the net and have afterwards settled back into comfortable anonymity. You cannot pick a World Cup squad, for instance, solely on the basis of good form, no matter how impressive, and we would do well to consider the merits of class.

So ... In the four years since Germany 2006, Bent has made 122 league appearances for Charlton Athletic, Tottenham Hotspur and Sunderland, scoring 51 goals. Over the same period, Defoe’s tallies are 119 and 49, Crouch’s is 121 and 29, Cole has amassed 25 goals from 97 games and Heskey has 20 from 120. From Rooney’s 121 fixtures, he has scored 64 times (Michael Owen’s is 22 in 79).

Right, I’m all facted out (or should that be fact off?) and if you’re beginning to sniff the merest hint of an agenda here, then I’ll hold my hands up and doff my hat (it’s not easy to do both at once). Having spelt out some truths, it’s time to re-embrace bias. You’re absolutely and completely right. I do think Darren Bent should be on the plane to South Africa this summer. No question, no hesitation.

There are people who argue that a forward’s art is about more than a goals-to-game ratio. This column fully agrees. Ten years watching Alan Shearer at Newcastle United was a privilege, but also an education; as well as blistering goals, tap-ins, penalties and headers, points are hoarded through shielding the ball in the dying seconds, winning a timely free kick, defending at corners. Through character and determination.

You can see why Capello, as other England managers before him, would seek out a Heskey or a Crouch, whose varying degrees of height, power or just plain unusualness present defenders with something different and difficult to think about. But then Bent is far from being just a goalscorer and nothing else. There is an edge to his game and deeper dimensions.

Bent’s two years at Spurs were not only a test of his character, but also of his adaptability. “We tended to play with me up there and Robbie Keane just behind,” he has said, and although he admitted “it didn’t quite work” he stuck at it. During a difficult period, he also kept knocking in goals. He views himself as “the first line of defence”, working his opponents, harrying for the ball and running into channels when searching for possession.

The 26-year-old has certainly reveled in reversing that Spurs role at Sunderland, where Kenwyne Jones serves as the primary target-man. Yet in the five league games that Jones has missed this season, Bent has scored five times, which does not imply overdependence on a regular strike-partner. He has also played up front alongside Benjani, Fraizer Campbell or even alone.

A question which Capello must consider is the one he must also dread; what happens if Rooney is injured, ill or suspended (we’ve had a minor taster of that this week)? Against the best teams in the nation, in circumstances good or bad, repeatedly and consistently, at meaningful moments, Bent has proved capable of scoring goals. He is also a model professional, enthusiastic and eager to succeed, both for club and country.

Five international caps does not represent a fair examination of his qualities, nor does the 55 minutes he spent toiling in Qatar for November’s friendly against Brazil. As always, Bent will keep plugging away, but it would be nice to think that Capello might travel to Wearside - as he did for the Chelsea game in August - before the end of the season, if for no other reason than to offer Bent some deserved recognition.

Kevin Phillips spoke last weekend about the geographical isolation which makes it more challenging for North East-based players to break into the England squad. He, of course, should know, but that is no longer an acceptable excuse; ours is a small country anyway and saturation media coverage makes it smaller still. Bent has form, quality and history in his armoury and moving to Sunderland has set him free. Fact

Read more: http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread ... z0j13IltWf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:52 am 
Web-Site Admin

There's no way Bent should go the World Cup - he'll desperatley need a rest after carrying the whole mackem team on his back all season!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm 
Top of the pops

You know that's not true.
A bit different to your centre forward who puts his team on their backs.
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm 
Regular

Gary :D :D :D

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:06 am 
Web-Site Admin

Most common version of events appears to be that Taylor has been trying it on with AC's missus. If that's the case then he's deserved a slap, I defy anyone to tell me they would do differently.

The club are actually sensibly keeping it in house for a change though, so we're unlikely to find out exactly what happened, but there's certainly no bad blood towards Carroll among the other players if the goal celebrations on Tuesday are anything to go by.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:19 pm 
Top of the pops

I was listening to the commentary of our match last night, did you know that Heskey went off and he's only finished 6 premier games this season. Bent had a perfectly good goal ruled off for offside.
Would anyone want to take Heskey before Bent ?
Even Carlton Cole is having a bummer and Defoe is out injured.
I think Darren still has a chance.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:28 pm 
Web-Site Admin

If it was just about goals then Bent would have to go, but Capello is a big fan of his "big man, little man" combo so with Rooney a certainty he's effectively battling for one place with Defoe and Agbonlahor and if Defoe is fit he'll go.

The 2 big strikers will come from Heskey, Crouch and Cole. It's probably come just a little early for Carroll. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:33 pm 
Top of the pops

I would have thought normally that your comment about the plank Carroll was a joke but with you following Newcastle, I know it isn't.
You probably think Harper should be there as well.
Gary :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 am 
Web-Site Admin

Harper is actually a very good shout - did you see the massive rick current No.1 James dropped the other night? There's no English keeper playing consistently well in the Prem at the moment.

Meanwhile Super Stevie Harper has just kept a club record 19th clean sheet of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:01 pm 
Top of the pops

You really are a deluded fool.
I am not looking forward to all this blinkered hogwash next season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:53 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
I would have thought normally that your comment about the plank Carroll was a joke but with you following Newcastle, I know it isn't.

Hmmmmm....

Quote:
CAPELLO READY TO CALL ON CARROLL
Controversial striker on World Cup stand-by

CONTROVERSIAL Newcastle striker Andy Carroll is on stand-by for the World Cup after impressing Fabio Capello.

The England Under-21 star is on a list of players Capello would consider calling into his squad if there is a striker crisis ahead of the World Cup. Although his chances of making it to South Africa are slim, England's manager has been staggered by Carroll's improvement this season

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/766075/CAPELLO-READY-TO-CALL-ON-CARROLL.html

It's in the News of The World, so it must be true. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:21 pm 
Top of the pops

You couldn't make it up.
Will he have his freedom by this summer ?
Gary :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:59 pm 
Regular

If the story in the paper about Carroll and the England consideration is true then so must all of the others in the papers regarding Stephen Taylor being frozen out at Newcastle as the owner, management and other players seem to have taken Carroll's side over the recent incident.

If that is the case then the club should be throughly ashamed of itself. What kind of message does it send out when the alleged aggressor in a fight between team mates is supported by all when the victim is apparently excluded, despite the fact he has refused to make a complaint to the police about the incident.

IMO this is not one of Newcastle's best moments.

Cheers

John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:31 am 
Web-Site Admin

The article you're referring to was written by "wheese keys" Louise Taylor - an exceptionally bitter mackem who never misses a chance to stick the boot into the toon - thankfully she's had very little to go on this season.

The fact that the majority of the players seems to be supporting Carroll speaks volumes to me, as they will be among the few who actually know what happened.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Well the Mighty Mackems carried the flag for the North East again and put Floppychops and his rooster sure Cockneys in their place.
Gary :celebrate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:38 pm 
Star

Great result we should be a safe bet for a proper Derby next season.Well done the Mackems. :congrats :greetings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 pm 
Star

Can I just interject and say one thing ' I truly hate being a Spurs fan and will let my kid choose his own club!'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 pm 
Top of the pops

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 am 
Web-Site Admin

Agent Bruce in thinly veiled "Please don't hate me, I'm still a Geordie really" plea:

Quote:
Bruce welcomes Newcastle United return
05:30 PM 13 April, 2010
Steve Bruce is pleased to see Newcastle United Football Club back in the Premier League.

Bruce grew up as a Magpies fan, so whilst many fans at the Stadium of Light will hardly be welcoming them back to the top-flight, the Sunderland manager is pleased with their promotion.

What’s more, he also hopes the other big team in the North East, Middlesbrough, make a late run for the play-off places in the Championship and also make a swift return to the Premier League.

"The area needs it," Bruce told Sky Sports News

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 pm 
Top of the pops

:oops: Very thinly.
All North East managers roll out the same claptrap every season.
New manager, same claptrap.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:32 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
:oops: Very thinly.
All North East managers roll out the same claptrap every season.
New manager, same claptrap.

We've got the next generation of football manager now - Comrade Chris Hughton with his unique brand of quiet authority is showing the way forward!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:44 pm 
Top of the pops

I have it from an informed source that the cloud of dust that has today closed Newcastle airport can be traced back to Newcastle United.
Apparently they opened up the trophy room at Sid James' to clean it up in advance of receiving the Fizzy Pop Cup and there you are .....
Gary :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:26 am 
Web-Site Admin

:lol: You're just jealous!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am 
Top of the pops

Mate, been there got the T shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:26 am 
Major

Captain Fantastic and Discopants,

With all of this "Dancing around the Handbags" I think you two should get married (sorry Peppermint) - you seem to be ideally suited to such a relationship!

Martin, out from the 5th for the year so look forward to meeting up with you two (Martin and Peppermint - calm down Discopants you will get your opportunity) and Jo and Helen - the boss is out on the 9th. Where are we going to have the Championship Celebration Party - Peyia or Kissonerga?

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:38 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Looking Forward9 wrote:
Martin, out from the 5th for the year so look forward to meeting up with you two (Martin and Peppermint - calm down Discopants you will get your opportunity) and Jo and Helen - the boss is out on the 9th. Where are we going to have the Championship Celebration Party - Peyia or Kissonerga?

Wahey, knew you were due back soon! I think an occasion this momentous warrants multiple celebrations so I think Peyia and Kissonerga should both be frequented. There's Joe's new place to trash too - still hasn't had his house warming party!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:52 pm 
Major

Sounds good to me - after the season we have had I think mulitple orgasams, sorry celebrations, will do just fine.

Hopre Shay likes his new home!

"Be who you are, not what others want you to be"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 pm 
Top of the pops

Well, it's official, we will be a Premier team again next season. There, and we beat the Mugs to it.
Gary :clapping

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 am 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
Well, it's official, we will be a Premier team again next season. There, and we beat the Mugs to it.
Gary :clapping

Have you not been paying attention? We were promoted weeks ago man!

Post subject: Mackems v Geordies
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Should I acknowledge that your debt is supreme to ours ?
Seriously, what does this mean ?
http://m.chroniclelive.co.uk/ms/p/tmg/n ... _Chronicle
Gary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:42 am 
Web-Site Admin

We are seemingly in debt to Ashley, but that only becomes a problem should he decide to call it in. Makes the chances of us being sold pretty remote though.

Aside from that, the season in the Champioship has left us in pretty solid shape - we're coming back up with a wage bill only around 40% of turnover and more high earners like Nicky Butt out of contract.

Meanwhile, the mackems are saddled with a wage bill over 75% of turnover - most experts reckon that just isn't sustainable....

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes but we have an owner who loves us and knows what the financial status is and doesn't mind.
His loans to us are in the form of shares and he is on record as saying he will not want the money back. Get that ! We have an owner who pumps money in and doesn't want it back........
And of course, your owner Ashley wants out doesn't he ? He does not love you and any prospective buyer needs to find the value of the club plus the 136m that Ashley is owed personally.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Bowing down to your supposed supremacy again......... how come you have only a 15m transfer chest :smilielol :smilielol
Fat Cashley even went as far as making The Times amend their staement last week that The Mugs would have a 25m transfer chest. All is not well at the Sports Direct.Com Arena( By the way it appears your club were not paid a penny for changing the name of your ground from Sid James Park ! :shock: )
15m ?
We'll get that for one of our players and spend it three times over.
It's about time you bowed to our Supremacy
Gary :iamwin :celebrate :clapping

Last edited by discopants on Mon May 03, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Lest you forget.........
Your Jackie was Wor Jackie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 pm 
Top of the pops

There's a bit there for you black and white thicko's to ponder but what about this..................
We have a gaggle of prospects here who are young and eager to progress, mmmm David Meyler and Jordan Henderson, Martyn Waghorn ( Leicester player of the year)and Jack Colback( Ipswich player of the year) not forgetting Ryan Noble 17 yrs old and nigh on 40 goals for the reserves they are looking for first team action.
The Mugs don't have any money.
what about taking them on loan ?
What Geordie supremacy ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary :iamwin

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:14 pm 
Top of the pops

Oh I know you've got Nile Ranger ha ha !! :lol: :lol:
What a prospect he is :lol:
Play him next season !

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:42 am 
Web-Site Admin

I think you'll find we have an excellent crop of young prospects, several of who have benefitted from more regular football in a lower league - especially:

Tamas Kadar - very solid, cultured centre half
Tim Krul - Very highly rated young keeper, linked with Ajax and Real Madrid
Nile Ranger - scoring regularly at under-18 international level
Haris Vuckic - a real wonder kid this one - might be going to the World Cup with Slovenia at just 17....

I would suggest sending them to your lot on loan but we don't want them picking up all those dirty habits from the worst disciplined team in the land....

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Top of the pops

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:51 am 
Web-Site Admin

See Roger, this is how you wind discopants up - reasoned and rational arguments, he never has any comeback...

:wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 10:45 am 
Top of the pops

Not very reasoned really. None of your youngsters would develope at our club as they wouldn't get a look in.
We have our own youngsters farmed out to teams you have just been playing. They are winning awards at these teams so why, rationally, would we want your youngsters.
Our own are getting rave reviews around the country.
Anyway, reasoned, rational and geordie just don't mix.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:05 am 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
Our own are getting rave reviews around the country.

Yeah, but that's just Championship level - that's rubbish isn't it??

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes it is, but at least our young uns are getting their game, your young uns aren't.
We do have a few young uns playing in the Premier too ( Meyler Henderson)
Anyway, stop being civil, I'm not used to it !
Gary :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:33 am 
Web-Site Admin

2 more mackems sent off this weekend.

Dirty, dirty mackems. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:51 am 
Top of the pops

It's called commitment....................or bad timing !
Gary

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:05 am 
Web-Site Admin

It's called dirty. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 am 
Top of the pops

Well matey if you intend to tiptoe through the Premier next season you won't get very far.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am 
Web-Site Admin

Can't quite believe you're trying to pass being the dirtiest team in the country off a some kind of virtue!

I think you should apologise to the country on behalf of your team.... :P

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:38 am 
Top of the pops

Someone has got to be the dirtiest, apologize for what ?
I'm sure no one is offended.....including you :wink:
BTW Change the title of this thread please, now that is offensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:03 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
BTW Change the title of this thread please, now that is offensive.

You wish! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body