Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:44 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Sign of the Times ?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:06 am 
Top of the pops

Only 37,700 at our game today. That shocked me. That's 10,000 down on our last game albeit was against the mags( small m)
Pompey, who are known for passionate support brought 300 with them. That's one of the poorest turn outs I've ever seen at our place.
The bars inside the ground were empty, not surprising at £3.10 for Fosters or £3.40 for Kronenburg.
Seems people are feeling the bite.
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:52 pm 
Major

gates are down all over the country mate, lots worse than ours, look at spurs the other night, only 16k! and they were playing in europe, if we were playing in europe we would sell out, dont you think

Just born lucky I suppose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:20 pm 
Top of the pops

Dino, I doubt we would tbh.
I think the crowd against Blackburn in the Carling cup will be poor.
I was chatting to quite a few people yesterday and all the noises were negative. People seem to be really doubting Keane now.If Fulham win this afternoon we are in the botton 3 !
Gary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm 
discopants wrote:
....If Fulham win this afternoon we are in the botton 3 !
Gary

So you'll be wanting the TOON to win then :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:55 pm 
Top of the pops

Pete, give your head a shake !
Gary :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm 
Major

while speaking of the toon, it was disapointing to see the nuckle draggers shouting out "toon army" during the minutes silence! proof indeed that the gene pool needs clearing out once in a while!

those who did this should be shot with doodoo! makes my giraffe boil

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:31 am 
Well I never heard anyone saying anything at the TOON match, so behave yourself & stop making doodoo up :x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:20 pm 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
Dino, I doubt we would tbh.
I think the crowd against Blackburn in the Carling cup will be poor.
I was chatting to quite a few people yesterday and all the noises were negative. People seem to be really doubting Keane now.If Fulham win this afternoon we are in the botton 3 !
Gary

Seems to be quite a bit of anti-Keane dissent creeping into the ranks now - is he ever going to sign that contract do you think, or do you think maybe he's realised he's struggling and could be looking for an easy excuse to get out?

After spending 80 million quid, you really wouldn't expect to be next to bottom 1/3 of the way though the season (I know we're in the clarts as well, but at least we hopefully have a new owner, manager and Janaury spending spree to look forward to!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:42 pm 
Top of the pops

I am led to believe that the cost of our squad is the 14th costliest. Yes it is disappointing but I've never been one banging his drum. In my circle of mates quite a few who wouldn't have owt said about him are now calling him themselves.
He makes strange decisions during a game,he has bought some bad players as well as some good ones but in my opinion he does not communicate with the fans very well.
If there is a reason for him sending Chopra to Cardiff he should let us know why. He shoukd explain for example how Chimbonda is first choice right back one week and not even in the squad 7 days later.
He should also give a reason for not signing that contract.
If he were to go I don't think it will be the end of the world.Far from it.
In a few weeks I might be calling him the Messiah, who knows !
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:22 pm 
Regular

its a strange situation, if i was keane i would sign the contrcat now (especially as if the mackems keep on as they are he will be sacked by february) and ensure himself a fat pay off. quinn should be nervous how can a team plan for the future when there boss shows a lack of commitment?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:35 pm 
Top of the pops

All I can say Smurf, is you are right.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:57 pm 
Major

i think it`s good that he hasnt signed a new contract! think about it, the man himself has said and i quote........"thats not the way to get the best out of me" , along with other things he has said along the way, i would say that he has our best interests at heart! he could have signed long ago, and the not given a doodoo about results, and if he gets sacked gets the big pay-off, but its refreshing to see someone who is willing to leave for nothing if he is deemed not good enough

put this together with how far he has taken us in just over 2 years, and the much better class of player that he has brought to the club, which no-one else had managed to do, he has got rid of many of our unwanted records, put us back on the map, and as someone has already said, we have only the 14th most expensive squad in the league, so therefore 14th and above is a decent finish for us this year, and lets face it, its not as tho` thats impossible for us now is it? quinn spoke of a 5 year plan! this is only the 3rd year into it, we are ayear ahead of that plan, so whats the problem? the fact we have lost 3 in a row? so what? so has everyone!. away to stoke was always gonna be a hard game, chelsea we were never gonna win lets face it, and as for pompey, well its not as tho` we didnt play well is it? if we play like that every week i am more than happy that the results will come

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm 
Top of the pops

Dino, you might be right, I hope you are. We certainly have got better quality now, and over time that quality should see us alright.
There is no doubt though that Keane is ruffling feathers and is not too popular with some of the players. We can do without that.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 pm 
Top of the pops

And another thing that could be a sign of the times, I've read recently that Everton are about to be bought by some mega rich arabs as are West Ham and Pompey.
In the short term bully for them no doubt and some clubs, like us and Boro may get left behind but where will it all end ?
Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:01 am 
Web-Site Admin

discopants wrote:
And another thing that could be a sign of the times, I've read recently that Everton are about to be bought by some mega rich arabs as are West Ham and Pompey.
In the short term bully for them no doubt and some clubs, like us and Boro may get left behind but where will it all end ?
Gary

I think it's now become a bit of a catch-22 situation - in an ideal world not many real fans would want to see their club taken over by some random wealthy foreigner (or even worse, a dodgy cockney!) but in today's league there's simply no other way to compete.

So do you settle for permanent mediocrity and the excitement of a relegation struggle every year, or jump on the gravy train and hope you might actually be able to catch the big boys? (still not much chance really, given they've got such a massive head start). Even then, if you do actually win something it's going to be tainted by the knowledge that you had to buy the success.

Sad state of affairs really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:24 pm 
Regular

whilst the premier league is popular to tv companies there will always be some mega rich groups wanting to have a slice of the money/be seen at popular events.

once the lustre has faded (or the credit crunch really hits and people stop renewing sky and sky stop paying multi millions for the contract) they will drift away.

the teams who are being fairly cautious with their spending and are investing in their own youth will rap the benefit when that happens

some big club will in the next few seasons end up like leeds, just hope it is not your club (it wont be Boro)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:14 pm 
Major

Captain Fantastic wrote:
discopants wrote:
Gary

I think it's now become a bit of a catch-22 situation - in an ideal world not many real fans would want to see their club taken over by some random wealthy foreigner (or even worse, a dodgy cockney!) but in today's league there's simply no other way to compete.

So do you settle for permanent mediocrity and the excitement of a relegation struggle every year, or jump on the gravy train and hope you might actually be able to catch the big boys? (still not much chance really, given they've got such a massive head start). Even then, if you do actually win something it's going to be tainted by the knowledge that you had to buy the success.

Sad state of affairs really.

:goodpost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:19 am 
Web-Site Admin

I've removed the last few posts on this thread - that's not what this place is about.

Keep it friendly please!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 am 
Forum Admin

:clap Martin....
I can deactivate accounts, just as fast as I activate them.
:wink:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body