Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:30 am

Watch Live Sport-channels Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:35 am 
Regular

starting to feel some sympathy for the scousers (they are usually a team i can not stand) just when they are getting a team together capable of challenging for their first title in 20 odd years they may have to sell some of their best players to fund their debt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am 
Web-Site Admin

Sorry mate, but when you support a team that hasn't won a major trophy in your lifetime like I do then feeling sympathy for scousers will never be on the agenda! When I was a kid these lot were winning everything so I had the misfortune to grow up alongside loads of Liverpool-supporting glory hunters!

If they have to sell loads of players and start to combust then I think I will quite literally split my sides laughing!

Won't happen though - something spawny will come along to save their hides - the financial equivalent of a 95th minute penalty for a Gerrard dive no doubt! :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:05 pm 
Regular

Martin

For once we agree on something. Liverpool as a club have a fantastic history and have been a major force in English Football for decades, however you can't help but not like them and their supporters can you? There is just something about them that puts you off them.

It seems their US buyers mortgaged themselves up to the hilt when the bought the club and have to pay back a £500m loan in January. They have an option of a 6 month extension to that timeframe but that has to be approved by the 2 major lenders and as they are 2 of the banks hit hardest by the Credit Crunch the feeling is they will not be too amenable to that proposal.

I think it does open up a bigger debate about the buying of clubs by any individual or small group. Yes they have all the power but they also have all the problems that brings with it. In Liverpools case the club could go bust if a solution cannot be found. In the case of your lot you have an owner who is hated by the fans which has meant the club is in a state of turmoil at the moment. No one knows what is going to happen, therefore players wont sign for you, current players wont sign contract extensions and the folk suffering the most are the fans. Man City are another example of problems, luckily for them a solution was found, but by another single buyer. Had the rich Arab chap not come along what would have happened to Man City when Frank Sinatra was found guilty of corruption, he would then have failed the FA's fit and proper criteria for club ownership. Even though Man City now have a new owner what will happen to them, or even Chelsea if their owners get bored of their new play thing and move onto something else.

I do think English football is very close to a major problem, with either a big club going bust or fans starting to boycott the games as they are being priced out of it. Last season I decided to treat myself for my birthday and went to White Hart Lane for our match against the Toon. I accept my costs were high because I live in Newcastle and had to pay return train fares to London, but the cost of my ticket for the game was £61. That was for a basic seat in the stands, nothing extra. Again, I accept season tickets would reduce the cost of match tickets but for fans who want to pick and choose the games to go to it is now becoming almost impossible to afford.

The bottom line is football is only a game, it is not a matter of life or death. If I, or any other average supporter, is expected to pay over £60 for a ticket I suspect it wont be long before we start syaing it is not worth it anymore and find something else to spend our money on. Once that happens football will be in deep trouble.

Don't get me wrong I am not just blaming the clubs, I think the players have a lot to answer too. I acknowledge their career is relatively short and it is a free market so they can ask any figure they want for a salary and if the club is prepapred to pay it then that is up to them, but this week it has been reported Ronaldo has asked Man Utd for £170k per week to stay. No one doing any job in the world is worth that amount of money!!!.

That, for what it's worth is my twopence worth, what do the rest of you think?

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:18 pm 
That's also what can happen when you're club is brought by a couple of 'plackie' billionaires as was the POOL... they (Hicks & Gillet) thought it would be a money spinner owning one of the best known teams in the world, what they didn't realise was that they would have to 10s of millions to keep up with the likes of Chelski & Manc USA wh are also indebt upto their ears... so saying that, apparently an Arab consortium was suppose to be looking at buying them for £500m just last month but pulled out at the last minute, which leave Hicks & Gillet in really deep doodoo.... & as Boog has said, the banks who they owe the money too are now controlled by the Government, so that loan will need to be paid off in Jan or the club will be owned by the Banks & Govenment :shock: :shock:

Plus to top it off, they got stuffed by the Spurts last night 4-2 & out of the League Cup early, same as Chelski :lol: :lol:

Spurts are looking good under Arry now, I might has well send your mars bars over now Boogs, 4 I think it will be by season end :roll: :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:39 pm 
Top of the pops

Hmmm I have to say that when i read things such as yours, lets for arguments sake call it complete childish drivel, then I begin to wonder how supposedly sane adults can make such statements. How can you say something like not liking their supporters, have you met them all, or do you just like to make inflammatory statements about people en masse?. Perhaps when you can write something that isn't so blanketing and all encompassing for people you have never met, then maybe I will listen.

For once we agree on something. Liverpool as a club have a fantastic history and have been a major force in English Football for decades, however you can't help but not like them and their supporters can you? There is just something about them that puts you off them.

It seems their US buyers mortgaged themselves up to the hilt when the bought the club and have to pay back a £500m loan in January. They have an option of a 6 month extension to that timeframe but that has to be approved by the 2 major lenders and as they are 2 of the banks hit hardest by the Credit Crunch the feeling is they will not be too amenable to that proposal.

I think it does open up a bigger debate about the buying of clubs by any individual or small group. Yes they have all the power but they also have all the problems that brings with it. In Liverpools case the club could go bust if a solution cannot be found. In the case of your lot you have an owner who is hated by the fans which has meant the club is in a state of turmoil at the moment. No one knows what is going to happen, therefore players wont sign for you, current players wont sign contract extensions and the folk suffering the most are the fans. Man City are another example of problems, luckily for them a solution was found, but by another single buyer. Had the rich Arab chap not come along what would have happened to Man City when Frank Sinatra was found guilty of corruption, he would then have failed the FA's fit and proper criteria for club ownership. Even though Man City now have a new owner what will happen to them, or even Chelsea if their owners get bored of their new play thing and move onto something else.

I do think English football is very close to a major problem, with either a big club going bust or fans starting to boycott the games as they are being priced out of it. Last season I decided to treat myself for my birthday and went to White Hart Lane for our match against the Toon. I accept my costs were high because I live in Newcastle and had to pay return train fares to London, but the cost of my ticket for the game was £61. That was for a basic seat in the stands, nothing extra. Again, I accept season tickets would reduce the cost of match tickets but for fans who want to pick and choose the games to go to it is now becoming almost impossible to afford.

The bottom line is football is only a game, it is not a matter of life or death. If I, or any other average supporter, is expected to pay over £60 for a ticket I suspect it wont be long before we start syaing it is not worth it anymore and find something else to spend our money on. Once that happens football will be in deep trouble.

Don't get me wrong I am not just blaming the clubs, I think the players have a lot to answer too. I acknowledge their career is relatively short and it is a free market so they can ask any figure they want for a salary and if the club is prepapred to pay it then that is up to them, but this week it has been reported Ronaldo has asked Man Utd for £170k per week to stay. No one doing any job in the world is worth that amount of money!!!.

That, for what it's worth is my twopence worth, what do the rest of you think?

Regards.

John[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:51 pm 
Tallulah I think you missed a [quote] out there, I take it you're on about Boogs post :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 pm 
Top of the pops

Sorry Pete, yes I was. As i said before, it really irritates me when people make such statements. It to my mind invalidates anything of interest or note that they say subsequently. I am all for discussion on footy, but not complete drivel!.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:58 pm 
Regular

Tallulah

You are of course entitled to your opinion, the same way that I am. If you chose to avoid listening to my posts I doubt it will be a great loss to the world (although how you listen to something that is written down is a bit of a loss to me) :shock:

My comment was aimed at the perception Liverpool supporters and the club in general give out, it was not aimed at any actual individuals.

If you take the time to read through the posts in this forum you will see an on-going theme of friendly abuse between us all, it is something we call banter.

I am more than happy for you to join in this banter and enliven us with details of your lifetime of experience, all I would say to you if and when you do feel irate at anything that has been written is;-

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN.

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:59 pm 
Well you should love the 'Sports Bar' then because we all post a load of drivel :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:11 pm 
Well it looks like they still have get out: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1085140/Liverpool-brink-Cash-crisis-force-American-owners-accept-500m-bid-Sheikh-Mohammed.html?ITO=1490

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:13 pm 
Top of the pops

Oh do forgive me for using an incorrect term, as in 'listen'. i do apologise!. As your posts are no great thing, then me not reading them, or anyone else for that matter, it would be no great loss for the world.
Your comment was aimed at Liverpool FC and their supporters, or did you mean to say something else when you made your comment???. Perhaps me calling Spurs supporters argumentative below intelligent thugs would quite rightly be deemed offensive, but then of course I could later retract it and merely say that was meant as a general comment!.
Abuse is never friendly, banter is, and there is a huge difference!. But by calling it banter does not excuse it.
Im thrilled and overjoyed at your happy acceptance of my presence here, however, if what I have read so far of yours is anything to go by, I don't think i will bother. Have a fabulous day.
BOOGALOO509 wrote:
Tallulah

You are of course entitled to your opinion, the same way that I am. If you chose to avoid listening to my posts I doubt it will be a great loss to the world (although how you listen to something that is written down is a bit of a loss to me) :shock:

My comment was aimed at the perception Liverpool supporters and the club in general give out, it was not aimed at any actual individuals.

If you take the time to read through the posts in this forum you will see an on-going theme of friendly abuse between us all, it is something we call banter.

I am more than happy for you to join in this banter and enliven us with details of your lifetime of experience, all I would say to you if and when you do feel irate at anything that has been written is;-

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN.

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:56 pm 
Top of the pops

Well I have to say that I have respect for the followers of all football clubs (well...nearly all) and I certainly respect Spurs and Liverpool and like watching their brand of football.
However, I did laugh at the Calm Down Calm Down comment which although as old as the hills, I didn't see coming. :lol:
Gary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:55 am 
Web-Site Admin

Tallulah Savage wrote:
Perhaps me calling Spurs supporters argumentative below intelligent thugs would quite rightly be deemed offensive

Actually, it sounds to me like you've got him pretty well sussed! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:31 pm 
Regular

Tallulah

I seem to have hit a raw nerve with my posting as far as you are concerned, are you having a bad week :wink: :wink: .

If you look back at my original post you will see the only thing I actually said was "you can't help but not like them and their supporters", and "There is just something about them that puts you off them". Neither comment referred to any individual or actually said anything that could be taken as "Abuse". I can't see what has caused you to get you knickers in such a twist. :shock:

However it does appear my comments have caused you some angst so all I can say, with all sincerity is "Tough" :there I am sure you are old enough and big enough to understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we can't all be as loving and approachable as you obviously are.

In no way was my second posting aimed at retracting what I said it was aimed at making it easier for you to understand where I was coming from. Your comments however do appear to be aimed at me personally, and do seem to be verging on the personal abuse side of things, however I have had worse so you can be assured I am not upset by your views. Feel free to repond if you wish, however this will be my last posting on your observations as far as this thread is concerned. I will return to submitting my comments on the sports side of things, after all this is what the forum is intended for.

Martin.

I thought we were almost on the same wavelength for once then you have to go and spoil it by picking on little old me once again :x , methinks the pressure of the state your club is in is starting to get to you. Don't worry, you are too good to down, your manager has got the team buzzing again and I am sure it won't be long before you are up their challenging for Europe once again. :smilielol :smilielol

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:40 pm 
Top of the pops

No, please don't try to pass off your comments re Liverpool as harmless and just me having a bad week, quite the contrary.
I am well aware of what you said, hence my replies, it was what you said that caused offence. People who find it amusing to make inflammatory statements, as you have never can see what all the fuss is about, funny that.
Tough it is, and I feel the same aboiut my replies, I could care less what you think now, but it would be difficult.
of course if you feel my comments were aimed at you personally, I can do little about that, after all, we do so often misconstrue things that have been written, don't we :-)
Please do feel free to take my postings however you wish to, but I must say its so nice to have another, even bigger drama queen on here, I thought I was alone, but not now.
BOOGALOO509 wrote:
Tallulah

I seem to have hit a raw nerve with my posting as far as you are concerned, are you having a bad week :wink: :wink: .

If you look back at my original post you will see the only thing I actually said was "you can't help but not like them and their supporters", and "There is just something about them that puts you off them". Neither comment referred to any individual or actually said anything that could be taken as "Abuse". I can't see what has caused you to get you knickers in such a twist. :shock:

However it does appear my comments have caused you some angst so all I can say, with all sincerity is "Tough" :there I am sure you are old enough and big enough to understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we can't all be as loving and approachable as you obviously are.

In no way was my second posting aimed at retracting what I said it was aimed at making it easier for you to understand where I was coming from. Your comments however do appear to be aimed at me personally, and do seem to be verging on the personal abuse side of things, however I have had worse so you can be assured I am not upset by your views. Feel free to repond if you wish, however this will be my last posting on your observations as far as this thread is concerned. I will return to submitting my comments on the sports side of things, after all this is what the forum is intended for.

Martin.

I thought we were almost on the same wavelength for once then you have to go and spoil it by picking on little old me once again :x , methinks the pressure of the state your club is in is starting to get to you. Don't worry, you are too good to down, your manager has got the team buzzing again and I am sure it won't be long before you are up their challenging for Europe once again. :smilielol :smilielol

Regards.

John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:45 pm 
Top of the pops

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha Ha Boogs you big Drama Queen !!!
Gary :smilielol :there :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:09 pm 
Regular

I know I said I would not respond any further but I would like to clarify one thing.

My original comment was my personal feelings towards Liverpool Football club and it's supporters, it was not aimed at all people from Liverpool. If it had been aimed at all Scousers I would have included Everton, Tranmere and all other football teams from that area. If anyone thought it covered all Scousers they are wrong.

As I have said previously I cannot see how anything I wrote could be construed as abusive, however everyone has a different view and that is what makes the world go round. Afterall if I was to write that certain women with small chests "that look like two fried eggs" do not need bras I can understand how someone could be offended. Obviously no one would write anything like that in any posts on PP would they?

And with that I will take my ball home with my hair swept over my shoulders as all good drama queens should. :iamwin

Love

JohnnyPoos

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:14 pm 
BOOGALOO509 wrote:
...And with that I will take my ball home with my hair swept over my shoulders as all good drama queens should. :iamwin

Love

JohnnyPoos

What hair :smilielol :smilielol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:32 pm 
Top of the pops

Can you lend me some ?!
Gary :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:40 pm 
Regular

How many strands do you want. 100% strawberry blonde. :D

John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:41 pm 
BOOGALOO509 wrote:
...100% strawberry blonde. :D

John

You're defo blonde Boog mate :smilielol but thats not your hair colour :there

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:21 pm 
Top of the pops

I dont recall anyone saying you were talking about everyone in Liverpool?. Although saying what you have done about LFC and supporters does actually encompass rather alot of scousers, surprising to you maybe, but true.
Perhaps you ought to re read your patronising posts again, sometimes you don't always see whats right in front of you.
You stated in an earlier reply that 'you will see an on-going theme of friendly abuse', I fail to see how abuse can be friendly.
Sadly for me, this has now become tedious and repetitive, so I think its best to let it lie, what little entertainment value there was in it seems to have evaporated rather rapidly.

"My original comment was my personal feelings towards Liverpool Football club and it's supporters, it was not aimed at all people from Liverpool. If it had been aimed at all Scousers I would have included Everton, Tranmere and all other football teams from that area. If anyone thought it covered all Scousers they are wrong.

As I have said previously I cannot see how anything I wrote could be construed as abusive, however everyone has a different view and that is what makes the world go round. Afterall if I was to write that certain women with small chests "that look like two fried eggs" do not need bras I can understand how someone could be offended. Obviously no one would write anything like that in any posts on PP would they?

And with that I will take my ball home with my hair swept over my shoulders as all good drama queens should. :iamwin "

Love

JohnnyPoos[/quote]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:16 am 
Tallulah Savage wrote:
...You stated in an earlier reply that 'you will see an on-going theme of friendly abuse', I fail to see how abuse can be friendly.

Tallulah,

As you'll see from the posts in here, there are only a few of us, thats because we all love talking about football & we have a few different supporters here ie Toons, Mackems, Smoogies, Arsenil, Spurts, Wet Spams, Pool etc & we just banter, sometimes we say things generally, sometimes specifically against a certain person but its always said as banter & nothing else, so please don't take anything said in the 'Sports Bar' seriously ok, its just friendly abuse ie banter, we all do it :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:30 am 
Web-Site Admin

BOOGALOO509 wrote:
Martin.

I thought we were almost on the same wavelength for once then you have to go and spoil it by picking on little old me once again :x , methinks the pressure of the state your club is in is starting to get to you.

Sorry John, we may have similar views on the mickey mousers, but to me you'll always be a toon turncoat first and formeost!

:wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:21 pm 
Regular

Martin

Can't argue with any of your comments there can I? I will just have to live with that I suppose.

It does look like long exciting season for both of us this year. I can actually see on of the "so called big teams" going down at the end of this season, lets hope it's neither of our teams.

Regards.

JOhn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:01 pm 
Web-Site Admin

BOOGALOO509 wrote:
Martin

Can't argue with any of your comments there can I? I will just have to live with that I suppose.

It does look like long exciting season for both of us this year. I can actually see on of the "so called big teams" going down at the end of this season, lets hope it's neither of our teams.

Regards.

JOhn

Exciting isn't the word I would use! :(

Frustrating, annoying, depressing and sadly predictable just about covers it!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body