Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Give it a miss!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Rock Star

As residents here we often have friends and relatives over for holidays. One of these relatives who visited us last year recommended the Seafare restaurant at Latsi.
We had never got around to trying it.
We currently have my son and his girlfriend over and they wanted to eat somewhere that she could sample a Seafood Meze and he could have a steak.
Unfortunately we chose this restaurant. The Seafare.
We did not get off to a good start when, after ordering a large Leon (beer) I was presented with an unopened can and a glass. Upon querying this I was told they had run out of beer and the proprietor had to go and buy a few cans from the supermarket!

On to the food:

First the steak:
The pepper steak which was ordered medium was effectively “cremated”
It was presented on a plate swimming in “gravy”
There was nothing else on the plate. Not a vegetable or even a salad garish.
A large plate of soggy chips was then placed between my son and my partner for them to share.
My partner (Steph) ordered the Grilled Salmon, Which she described as “OK”.
Again, served in the middle of the plate with no vegetables or garnish of any description.
I fully accept that if the menu does not state that the main course is served with vegetables then you should not expect such.
However, to serve with nothing is, in my opinion, unacceptable. Particularly considering the prices.

On to the Fish Meze:
The best you could describe this would be “poor”
The dips and salad to start were OK but nothing to get excited about.
The Muscles, overcooked and dry.
The Calamari was just OK but a little overcooked.
The Prawns were the best part of the whole meal but were still not as juicy and moist as they should have been.
The Sardines were completely overcooked, dry and tasteless.
The Octopus was inedible, due once again being overcooked with the texture of a piece of rubber.
The final course of Sole, wrapped round Spinach and Feta and a fillet of Red Snapper followed the all to familiar pattern, overcooked and tasteless.
The whole meal was over seasoned with salt which I accept is a hallmark of Cypriot fare in general.

Oh I nearly forgot to mention that the somewhat aggressive waitress stunk of booze!!!!
At no time during the meal were we asked if everything was OK, neither were we made to feel particularly welcome.

Needless to say will not be returning to this restaurant in a hurry.

I find it very sad that in these times of recession and falling tourist numbers restaurants are not trying that bit harder for repeat trade. Many seem to have the philosophy that most of their trade is from tourists, who are unlikely to return anyway, so let’s fleece them for all we can, whilst offering poor quality.

Post subject: Re: Give it a miss!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:35 pm 
Top of the pops

Sevener, I hope you told them that, or similarly will make a post on the esteemed website http://www.paphoseating.com

I dont think we will be visiting it now.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:29 am 
Top of the pops

Great detailed review.

Unfortuanately for the restaurants that don't give good times, I have seen clearly from my own site that our motivation to inform others of negatives is so so much higher than that to share good experiences.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:56 am 
Rock Star

tanny wrote:
Sevener, I hope you told them that, or similarly will make a post on the esteemed website http://www.paphoseating.com

It's on Geoff's website in all its glory. :D I posted there first. :P

BigDutch wrote:
Unfortunately for the restaurants that don't give good times, I have seen clearly from my own site that our motivation to inform others of negatives is so so much higher than that to share good experiences.

I tend to agree Geoff. I tend to post on your site either when I have a very poor experience or when I have an exceptionally good one. The run of the mill/mediocre experiences I tend to ignore. The pity is that many of the restaurants fall into this category.

Brian

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body