Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goose Fat no more
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:35 pm 
Top of the pops

GooseFat and Garlic are no more - as most of us know . New people to open it as a bar/ cosy sofa type place - don't know if they will be doing food -- will keep a lookout for the grand opening. Marj

Post subject: Re: Goose Fat no more
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm 
Top of the pops

Just another sign of the decline in the economy and the scourge of "all inclusive". With so many UK Citizens returning to the UK through the world financial crisis affecting income etc, it will not be long before the whole area is like a ghost town.And still the silly beggars keep building shops and houses and flats etc. There is so much competition that you have to be the best in order to survive.Only the Cypriots seem to be doing this as they are not the ones paying high rents,rates,tax,and all the other taxes the "incomers" pay.
I have recently been able to buy a huge breakfast including unlimited cups of tea and coffee for under 8 euros (for 2),how can anyone carry on with what must be a very low profit margin ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:27 pm 
Top of the pops

I think you will find the Cypriots pay the same tax as us. In fact, as many ex pats pay at the 5% rate, in fact they pay more than some of us.

With the exception of funny goings on in the odd village, the idea that we pay more is yet another ex pat rumour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:56 pm 
Top of the pops

G F & g closed some months ago and James moved along the rd to another establishment -- it hasn't worked for him he has now left the island.Marj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:46 pm 
Star

When we lived in Cyprus and specifically Sea Caves we used to love the G&G, very good food, nice surroundings and nice staff.

Sad to read it'snow closed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:23 am 
Top of the pops

The food and service IMHO went down hill in fact we stopped going didn't like having my meal interrupted by James and his chit chat . Glad its going to be a place for just drinks as far as I know .Marj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:08 am 
Top of the pops

Josef K wrote:
I think you will find the Cypriots pay the same tax as us. In fact, as many ex pats pay at the 5% rate, in fact they pay more than some of us.

With the exception of funny goings on in the odd village, the idea that we pay more is yet another ex pat rumour.

I actually meant the Cypriots who own their property so don't have to pay rents etc to a third party which eats into any business profit margin,not income tax as such. Also when family work for no wages this also helps.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body