Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm 
Top of the pops

hi all :greetings

where can i shop to buy some great quality cheeses for a good cheese board for a wine and cheese night??????

cheers in advance
maggie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 pm 
Top of the pops

Gina's deli in Chloraka. She's got some fabulous stuff, particularly the triple cream Brie Delice! She's opposite Papantoniou in Chloraka.

Lesley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:02 pm 
Top of the pops

I have found some fairly good ones in Paps and failing that,the East London Sausage Company next to Chillies at Kissonerga has some nice but pricey cheese. Lidl have a fair variety and some good biscuits for cheese too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm 
Major

Ginas deli across the road from papantoniu supermarket in chloraka.She has the best selection in Paphos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:12 pm 
Top of the pops

looks like Gina's def for a visit
followed by paps and possible east london sausage company
I hadn't heard of Gina's before.....so really excited to see whats on offer
maggie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 am 
Top of the pops

The drunkard Stilton is also superb!

Lesley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:06 am 
Top of the pops

Ginas is the best for cheese selection & agree Lesley The Drunken Stilton.ummmmmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:09 am 

Is Gina's still there? Went pass yesterday, didn't seem to be there.

You could try Olivers - just off Polis road, take left (as you're leaving Paphos) at the new traffic lights, towards Tala.

Butcher Boy section is fairly good as well.

Most of the unusual cheese that these special shop stock, I've seen cheaper in the large supermarkets but it's bit of luck when they have them in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 am 
Top of the pops

drunken stilton sounds yummy
going to enjoy my shopping and tasting
many thanks for all of the help and advice
maggie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:25 pm 
Star

Yes Gina's is still there. Quite pricey but a good selection.

Oliver's has moved into E & S on the Polis Road by all accounts.

Yes I would go to Butcher Boy all the time, excellent choices there, also their ham is very good.

Yvonne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm 
Top of the pops

cheers yvonne :sunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm 

Blossom wrote:
Oliver's has moved into E & S on the Polis Road by all accounts.

Oops! oh yes sorry I'd forgotten....they moved so many times now. That's 4th shop in less that 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:44 pm 
Top of the pops

thanx for all the tips :greetings

in the end went to Gina's
and I am so pleased that I did

we had a moving in wine and cheese night and everyone was wowed with the cheeses chosen

there where absolutely loads to choose from

and chose 7 fantastic cheeses out of the many there........our guests where wowed with them all !!!!!

chose for the board

double cream brie..... fiery jack......4 yr old dutch cheese......drunken Irish chedder with guiness......... french blue with wine musk......strong chedder and stilton with mango and ginger

so many thanks for sending me to this amazing deli :grin:

we will definitely be going back and back to this amazing little gem of a shop

cheers :congrats

maggie ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:11 pm 
Top of the pops

Because of this post,I heard about and decided to go to Gina's myself.
I bought 3 slices of their ham on the bone (delicious) a very small piece of blue cheese and a slice of terrine,8 euros.All very tasty as a tester and will certainly splash out on the ham weekly, but my budget would not sustain a regular shop their as it is very expensive.
Glad your housewarming went well and your cheeses and wine were a success Maggie.

How did the wedding go? You were so excited,did it live up to your expectations as we haven't heard a report about it?

We are going to one next month and after experiencing a Baptism here (same family) I won't be worrying about what to wear etc as it was just the most wonderful laid back and chaotic day I have ever experienced.We British are so up tight when it comes to these things and it just doesn't matter here.I think half the guests had got off their tractors,into their pick ups and arrived at the church in their working gear!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:37 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
Because of this post,I heard about and decided to go to Gina's myself.
I bought 3 slices of their ham on the bone (delicious) a very small piece of blue cheese and a slice of terrine,8 euros.All very tasty as a tester and will certainly splash out on the ham weekly, but my budget would not sustain a regular shop their as it is very expensive.
Glad your housewarming went well and your cheeses and wine were a success Maggie.

How did the wedding go? You were so excited,did it live up to your expectations as we haven't heard a report about it?

We are going to one next month and after experiencing a Baptism here (same family) I won't be worrying about what to wear etc as it was just the most wonderful laid back and chaotic day I have ever experienced.We British are so up tight when it comes to these things and it just doesn't matter here.I think half the guests had got off their tractors,into their pick ups and arrived at the church in their working gear!

for a party the cheeses where amazing!!!!!!!
and not too expensive at all.......spent the same on the cheeses as I would have done on meats for a barbi......they where so excellent that it was money well spent :grin: I would def do it again :grin:

on the wedding front :greetings
it was absolutely amazing....we where given the privledge and honour of being invited to the grooms pre wedding ceremony....it took part at the grooms home...which with food lasted for @ 3 hrs..it was a very emotional but fun time....as all wished this fabulous young man health and happiness with his new step in life..there where cameras ..........live traditional music and traditional singers.....it was very moving....then loads of food to be eaten before we all went off to the church
where the grooms parents arived with the groom and walked him up the steps to the church doors...the groom carrying the brides flowers and there they waited for the bride to arive.....she arived in the car with her parents...with much blowing of horns...her parents then walked her up the steps to the church and gave her to demitris and his mother and father..at this point Demitris gave her her flowers....then into the church for the service....where I was expecting mahem..but where folks gave order........they where blessed and then made man and wife..

we went home for a couple of hours but arived back at 9pm.....where there was a champagne coctail partyall paid for... in full swing....in the garden of The Annabelle...with hot and cold food being served to those 2500 folks that atended the 7pm to 9pm part of the wedding party....these early guests left by @ 9.30 pm and then the 400 of us left where led down to the sea front...where tables and a dancefloor had been set out ..a stage with a live band playing.....and we ate a fabulous meal complete with 2-3 waiters per table to look after our every whim....the wine was non stop all night....
we left at just gone midnight..the party, dancing and music was in full flow

the bride and groom are both amazing people
they stood with both sets of their parents and greeted every single one of their guests individually .....only joining the main party fully at 9.30 pm....once every one had arived and had been greeted

then they came down to the beach front to loud cheers and applause and opened up the nights feasting and dancing

so we had an amazing wedding day/night an experience that niether edd nor myself will ever forgot.....we both feel honoured to have been included in this close family event :grin:

it was a very dressy afair....which meant that for the night time...I could go the full glitzy hog..which I get little chance to do these days.......so I thoroughly enjoyed myself

here are some piccies of the daytime grooms ceremony and the church part.we didn't take a camera at night time :cry: :cry: :cry:

because of all of the help and advice on the forum I knew exactly what to expect......which was also brilliant....cheers all :greetings

hope that I have not bored you all to death with the war and peace.....but a lot to cover :oops: :grin:
maggie ;)

whoops!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am not very good with piccie things and so the piccies have uploaded with the end at the beginning and gthe beginning grooms bit at the end... :oops: :oops: :oops: you might want to scroll through to the other end first and then play it all backwards...sorry :oops: :oops: :oops: don't know how to fix the problem !!!!

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u379/migmogs1/

Last edited by migmogs on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 pm 
Top of the pops

Unfortunately I cannot open the pics as it is a private album and needs a password etc. Never mind,it certainly sounds as if you had a wonderful time and a fabulous experience . We loved our first taste of Cypriot family celebrations and their generosity and friendship.
I know that some sceptics say it is "all about the envelopes" and that may be true in part,but it doesn't alter the fact that you are taken into their homes and their hearts and invited to share special moments in their lives.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm 
Top of the pops

beverley wrote:
Unfortunately I cannot open the pics as it is a private album and needs a password etc. Never mind,it certainly sounds as if you had a wonderful time and a fabulous experience . We loved our first taste of Cypriot family celebrations and their generosity and friendship.
I know that some sceptics say it is "all about the envelopes" and that may be true in part,but it doesn't alter the fact that you are taken into their homes and their hearts and invited to share special moments in their lives.

we where and still ARE treated as family to these generous people......they are a very caring family

have corrected link now or have tried to
the last piccie is in fact the first one
so speed to end and move backwards !!!
they show all the preperation of the groom the dancing and blessings

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u379/migmogs1/

maggie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:20 pm 
Major

Glad the cheese and wine party went down well for you, love the stuff Gina sells but don't eat it too much, like everything else that's yummy too many calories.The wedding photos are loverly,what a great tradition to have a pre wedding party, the Cypriots certainly know how to "do a wedding" fantastic! Wouldn't like to foot the bill tho.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 am 

Maggie, thanks for the photos, they're really lovely. A "money no object" Cypriot wedding is absolutely fantastic, and of course, being invited to share in their special family day makes it truly enjoyable.

Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a previous life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:24 am 
Top of the pops

PW in Polemi wrote:
Maggie, thanks for the photos, they're really lovely. A "money no object" Cypriot wedding is absolutely fantastic, and of course, being invited to share in their special family day makes it truly enjoyable.

hi kay

being invited along with 30 close relatives and friends to their home to share in the grooms pre wedding ceremony blessings was indeed very special to us

a day that we will treasure forever

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 pm 
Regular

Thanks Maggie for sharing these, looks like a great day for you to remember!

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body