Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 am 
Graduate

After being ill since August, last night we went out for dinner for the first time. We all wanted chinese but had to decide which one to go to, as this is the only chinese restaurant that we've never been to, we thought we would give it a try, and we're so glad that we did. We had one of the best chinese meals for a long time. All of the dishes were tasty, all the meats tender and succulent, and the portions were huge. Between the 3 of us we ordered chicken curry, beef curry, fried rice, steamed rice, chicken kung pao, sweet and sour chicken and chow mein. There was so much left over that we bought it home and there is enough for the 3 of us to have another dinner tonight. With a bottle of water and a glass of wine the bill was EUR56.00. They gave us a 10% discount and a voucher for 20% discount on our next visit. We will definitely go there again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 pm 
Top of the pops

That sounds great -- this is like you -one chinese we haven't been to -- I think we might give it a go. Marj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Top of the pops

We ate there once - never again - most vile muck we have ever had served up in a chinese restaurant :?

chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:17 am 
Rock Star

Sylvi & I stopped there for lunch some time ago. We deemed it the worst chinese food we had ever experienced anywhere.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:48 pm 
Regular

Sounds like this place has had a re-think, surely there can't be two opinions SO far apart.....
Geoff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:53 pm 
Forum Admin

I have never had the pleasure of having a meal there.
Pagoda chinese was always my choice , but it seems they saw the
bad times coming and closed the paphos branch ..
over a year ago ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:00 pm 
Rock Star

geoffm wrote:
Sounds like this place has had a re-think, surely there can't be two opinions SO far apart.....
Geoff.

That's a good thought, Geoff.

Off you go and tell us what you think!!!

:greetings

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
Top of the pops

I'd like to think so, but one man's meat etc.

I have exceptionally high standards concerning chinese food having experienced the real thing, and having had an amazing chinese restaurant in our town in the UK, and having eaten in China Town in London..................Jackie Ma's by comparison was a cheap and nasty tourist focussed producer of very poor quality almost inedible and highly fluorescent food..................I am personally unwilling to give it a second chance to prove me wrong having been so disgusted the first time!!

Perhaps they have changed chef (they needed to big time), perhaps lush got lucky, who can say...............

The only decent chinese that provides fairly decent chinese food we have found is Chloe 2 along the TOTK, but even that is very expensive and not fantastic.

We now prefer the Samisen Japanese Tepanyaki Restaurant at Coral Bay.

chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:20 pm 
Graduate

It just shows you never can tell. Maybe we were lucky that night, and we will go back and will know if it was a fluke. I've always been quite fussy with chinese food too, and had some atrocious meals in china town too. We've never had a bad meal in either of the Chloe's, but they are quite expensive. Was not at all impressed with Jade Palace and that seemed ever dearer for eating in, although it's cheaper for take away. We tried it 3 times because everyone keeps saying how great it is. We gave up on City Wok as it was always too salty.
We also went to the Samisen Japanese in Coral Bay this summer and we all thought it not very good, all 7 of us didn't really enjoy the food although it was good fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:41 pm 
Junior

I went to Jackie Ma on New years Eve and didnt enjoy it, will not be going again. You have to try different places but the food was not the best i've ever had.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm 
Top of the pops

Isn't it disappointing when you go somewhere to eat that people have recommended and you do not enjoy it?
We used to love the enormous home made burgers smothered in caramelised fried onions,served with home made chips and lovely crisp salad at "El paso" and told everybody about them.However the last 2 visits made 10 months ago resulted in me refusing to pay for 1 as it was so bad and the next time,eating without enjoyment and vowing not to go back. So many places have lowered their standards and as a result have lost customers and ultimately gone out of business.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body