Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:47 am 
Top of the pops

Following 12 months of real world user reviews on the many, many eateries and restaurants in the Paphos region of Cyprus, http://www.paphos-eating.com has compiled THE conclusive 'hot list' of where to eat out for 2010. All of the restaurants and eateries here are selected purely from user ratings submitted to Paphos-Eating website during the calender year 2009.

Categories include Best Fine Dining, Best Budget, Best Food, Best Value, Best Taverna etc

All winners listed here : http://www.paphos-eating.com/content/view/496/66/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't agree with the awards given ? Then make it right for the 2010 awards by submitting your own comments for the eateries you try during 2010 ! Remember these are based on user response so if you don't submit anything your opinion isn't factored in !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am 
Web-Site Admin

I see a couple of locations we've held PP do's at on the list - Ayioli in particular is a deserving recipient if our night there was anything to go by! :congrats

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 pm 
Rock Star

You could augue about a lot of the choices on these list.

I would only agree with a few of the selections.

We all have our favour eating establishments?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 pm 
Graduate

Ah yes CF but did you post reviews of them and give them marks out of 10?!

DD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:46 pm 
Web-Site Admin

Dolly Daydream wrote:
Ah yes CF but did you post reviews of them and give them marks out of 10?!

DD

I did indeed! Check out their page:

http://www.paphos-eating.com/content/view/351/55/

And you'll see my review (although embarrassingly I appear to have misspelt the title!) :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

i must admit to being surprised that Il Classico wasn't featured in any of the best of categories. The lasagne in there is the best I have ever tasted, and the coffee creme brulee is magnificent!.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 pm 
Star

Tallulah Savage wrote:
i must admit to being surprised that Il Classico wasn't featured in any of the best of categories. The lasagne in there is the best I have ever tasted, and the coffee creme brulee is magnificent!.

Lasagne..........fine dining at it's best !! :lol:

It's essential just the Italians version of cottage pie :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:32 pm 
Rock Star

Wot no Prince :shock:

D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Tallulah Savage wrote:
i must admit to being surprised that Il Classico wasn't featured in any of the best of categories.
I was too but i set the criteria and ran the data - what is up there is the unaltered results. I will be actively trying more to attract more contributors during 2010 and thus get more reviews, so in 11-12 months time when i run it again will equally interesting to us foodies, oh and remember you can rate n' review each eatery once per year :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:51 pm 
Top of the pops

Charnwood Forest wrote:
You could argue about a lot of the choices on these list. I would only agree with a few of the selections.We all have our favour eating establishments?
Absolutely !One man's meat is another man's poison and all that. These results, as mentioned in first post, are 100% calculated on user submissions to Paphos Eating, if you (plural) haven't put anything into the Paphos Eating site during 2009 then the data used doesn't include 'your opinion'. :)

Look forward to reading you reviews on my site, maybe your favourites will be next years 'winners', maybe they won't of course it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy where you go to eat. :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:03 pm 
Top of the pops

Paphosfan wrote:
Tallulah Savage wrote:

Lasagne..........fine dining at it's best !! :lol:

It's essential just the Italians version of cottage pie :wink:

Lol I meant in its previous incarnation rather than as an Italian, although its excellent now and certainly makes 99% of the restaurants in Paphos look pretty shabby. The French food was amazing and he seems to be doing a brilliant job now with Italian.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:02 pm 
Rock Star

The top 10 restaurants needs to be updated if those are the winners because Viklari is the only restaurant to feature in the top 10, how does that happen? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:26 pm 
Top of the pops

One thing I am curious about with these awards.How come Ayioli is in different categories and the winner with only 9 reviews?. I remember we had a PP do there and seem to recall it was reasonable.Now, don't take this the wrong way BD but isn't it owned by a relative of yours?.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:30 pm 
Top of the pops

Tallulah Savage wrote:
.... isn't it owned by a relative of yours?.
I don't think there is a wrong way to take what you have written and its a fair point. Yes, a cousin of my wife is down there but i sleep easy knowing that i created the criteria then ran the data, not the other way around so with regards to categories ...

- the 'best for ...' ('fine dining', 'good food' and 'budget') each had their own award which i think is reasonable;
- the 'Key Qualities' (ie food/service/atmos/value) each had their own award which i think is reasonable ;
- the Cypriot taverna is the most popular search on the site which is why there are three prizes for that food genre, which i think is reasonable ;

Now i can only run the data from the site and i would be ecstatic if i could get 19 or even 90 reviews per restaurant to use in the awards but its just NOT as easy as a simple popularity vote contest. You know i`m asking people to commit a few minutes to make a review, and often longer if they want to say something interesting so only the really committed have put reviews in! anyway averaged out the Ayioli ratings gave them a good score and this is how it panned out. Fettas and Viklari also both won two awards but i have never eaten in them myself or met them, and for the record, all other winners have no link to me, either distant family or business, even if they did i would be 100% comfortable with the results as they stand. I cannot think of a clearer way to provide a summary of other peoples opinions of a extended period.

Andy wrote:
The top 10 restaurants needs to be updated ..... how does that happen? :shock:
Top 10 is always using reviews placed over last 365 days - its always uptodate as it is created when you load the page from the database so that already removes 36 days of 2009 and adds 36 days of 2010. The '2009 awards' are using 1/1/9 to 31/12/9 so without looking in detail i know that the two will be different, and if you consider the Top 10 is a 'best overall' score without any further categorisation whilst the 'awards' are drilled down to 'best score' with certain criteria applied. The Top10 will be phased out during the year and replaced with something similar like the 'best for ... ' part of the awards so a bar serving pub grub is not competing head to head with a fine dining house.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body