Paphos People

The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:20 pm

Can't Sing - Wont Sing banner

the Best Quiz Nights in Paphos Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:08 am 
Forum Admin

PAPHOS MUSIC CONTEST STARTS AT THE END OF FEBRUARY.
Have you ever wanted to learn to sing and have fun whilst doing it ?? ..
For more details, see link ..
http://www.paphospeople.com/cant-sing-wont-sing.html

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:26 am 
Top of the pops

Sounds like a good idea to me :grin:

Where will this take place.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Regular

Yes lovely poster/advert but a certain important piece of information is missing!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:26 pm 
Forum Admin

I see that at the end of the page it says "Come back for regular updates". So try to call later..... and see what is going on.

But if you are interested - sign in as soon as possable.
Contest is no more then 10 participants.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 am 
Regular

So venue not agreed then, which i presume also explains why the start date is vague as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm 
Forum Admin

ruthnmick wrote:
So venue not agreed then, which i presume also explains why the start date is vague as well.

its not a matter of no venue agreed , its more of a dotting the i`s and crossing the t`s ..
The paphos cant sing , wont sing contest will post full details in the next days ..
;)

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 am 
Regular

Unfortunately without knowing full details its a bit impossible to commit to anything.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm 
Forum Admin

ruthnmick wrote:
Unfortunately without knowing full details its a bit impossible to commit to anything.

I fully understand , I think the first release of this was meant just as a taster ..
This is not my event , I am just posting on there behalf , I am lead to believe that they have had
a few applications already and no shortage of people wanting to sponsor the event ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm 
Forum Admin

Taken from today`s Cyprus Mail
By
Bejay Brown
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cant-sing/can-t-sing-won-t-sing/20130115

A SLEW of talent competitions have hit the island in recent years, but now organisers in Paphos have come up with a unique idea.
“Can’t sing, won’t sing” is aimed at people who dream of singing but haven’t got the nerve or experience to sing in front of an audience.
The ten week event is being organised by local forum, the Paphos People, and will see ten contestants being taught how to sing and perform in front of an audience.
The competition will start on February 10 and run for ten weeks with a live show every Sunday at the Friends Bar in Paphos.
“This is strictly for non professionals - people with no singing experience at all, not even karaoke,” said spokeswoman for the event, Oxana Strelnikova.
So far, eight willing participants have come forward and there are just two places left in the competition which has a one thousand euro winning prize.
“If people think that they can’t sing at all, or that they sound like a drowning cat, it doesn’t matter. If they love music and have the desire to sing better, then they should apply to enter,” she said.
According to organisers, participants will receive weekly coaching from two professional Paphos based singers. Stevie Dean is one, while the second has yet to be confirmed.
The weekly show will be slick and professional and will be fronted by presenter and entertainer Matthew Edmonson. Contestants will also have professional hair and make up done before each performance and will be advised on what outfits to wear onstage.
“To get top scores during the contest, people need to be audible and entertaining and capture the attention and hearts of the audience, so that they will vote for them as their winner,” Strelnikova said.
The prize money will be split fifty-fifty between the winner and their coach, so there is an incentive for the coaches to get the best out of the performers.
Registry for the competition can be made via the Paphos People forum.
“Once people have signed up, we will ask them to describe themselves and provide a list of their favourite songs - we need at least ten, as well as a song they will perform on the first night,” she said.
As contestants will have had no training at this point, their first performance will have the original artist’s track in the background.
The two coaches won’t be able to see the entrants at the first event, only hear them. They will each have to pick out five contestants to work with.
The contestants will then each have an individual class with their coach each week, as well as specifically structured homework.
“We decided to organise this event as we wanted to promote entertainment in Paphos - as it’s really dead during the winter.
“It’s all about having fun and giving people the confidence to sing as we all do in the shower or when we think no-one else is listening,” Strelnikova said.
Organisers are aiming to film the event which will stream live via the Paphos People website, so that audiences who are unable to attend will be able to watch from home.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 am 
Forum Admin

Just under 1 week to go until this great event starts at friends bar in Kato paphos ,
make sure you get there early in order to get a seat , a great night out is guaranteed with the chance to watch wannabe artists being put through there paces , plus the chance to also watch some of paphos`s top professionals
belt out a few tunes for you also ...
Sunday the 10th of Feb. at Friends bar is not to be missed
(Winter Sunday nights need never be boring again)

Show host.
Matthew Edmondson

Singing mentors.
Stevie Dean , Anna voloshina.

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:40 pm 
Forum Admin

Just one day left until this event starts ..
for those who are not in cyprus or cant make it to
the event tomorrow night , you can always watch the live streaming
of the event , which will be broadcast live across the globe on our very own
paphos people website ..
click here to take you to that page ..

for those who like
matthew edmondson, steve dean and Anna Voloshina , its a night not to be missed ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Top of the pops

What's the start time Neil?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forum Admin

starts at 8.00pm
but If you want a good seat , get in a bit earlier ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:54 pm 
Forum Admin

Tonights the night ..
:banana :celebrate :banana

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 pm 
Top of the pops

And the nerves are a jangling.....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:14 am 
Forum Admin

What a great opener , not an empty seat in the house ,
the show was fantastic , I have to say the proffesionalisam
of everyone invoved was out of this world , I was getting text messages from across the globe
from those watching online ..
Next week will only be better ..
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:02 am 
Top of the pops

Congratulations to everyone involved in the organisation, it was fabulous. Next week promises great surprises also.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 pm 
Top of the pops

I was there and can support Neil's comments. Well organised and very entertaining. Music from Abba to Black Sabath, and abilities from pretty good to dreadful.

Tanny held his own well (I've told him not to do that in public) and so did his lovely lady. My money is on either Anna or Zoe, but it is early days and things will change over the weeks. Interesting that just over half of the contestants were Russians, the others being Brits.

Well worth going for a good night out. However, if you are one of those who goes on and on about beer prices, best you keep away and watch online, as the bar is in the tourist area and sets prices accordingly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:18 pm 
Forum Admin

Glad you enjoyed the night Paul , a lot of effort has gone into it and its already paying rewards
for those who have donated there time for free , I got a call from someone in pissouri today ,
they had been watching the live streaming on line and heard Steve Dean singing , they wanted her number to book her for a gig ...
:clap

The first coaching session was today and I have to admit , even I thought
they might lose one or two , but everyone that was singing last night turned up for the coaching session and all were full of enthusiasm to continue ..
So , roll next Sunday night for another great night out ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm 
Forum Admin

Sneak preview at them practising .. click now
:banana

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm 
Forum Admin

its gone now .. ,, dont tell anyone, we sneaked a look .. ;)

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 am 
Forum Admin

Anyone who is coming tomorrow , make sure you get your seats early ,
last week was a full house , with standing only ..

Great show , great night out ..
:clap

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:17 am 
Top of the pops

Just got back from the second evening. Wonderful entainment. Hats off to Oxanana and her crew for faultless organisation, and the small but perfectly formed Matthew Edmonson for hosting the event in his own unique style.

There were some surprising improvements in some performances, not so for some others. Of course, that is what the competition is all about. Frankly, it's too close to call at the moment.

I'm surprised more PPers are not to be seen there. Come on, you all could do with getting out more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm 
Forum Admin

I have to say , I was amazed at the standard they have achieved in 1 week ,
some of them sounded 1000 times better already ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:44 am 
Top of the pops

Just back from tonight's event. It just gets better and better!!!! I have to say, however, that a lovely moment for me was Matthew Edmonson being upstaged by a Russian sailor with an accordian. I guess you had to be there.

We are down to 12 now and the judging proper starts next week.

Up to the interval, I had Anna and Irina neck and neck. Once they had done their second song, however, I had Irina in the lead. Anna could catch up but needs some nifty choreography to go with her sweet voice and stunning good looks.

Talking about choreography, our Tanny is improving and was pretty good this evening. That dodgy choreography needs to be worked on though old boy.

I did get a bit frightened by Anton who stripped down to just a pair of shorts and did a Russian heavy metal number, which was popular with the audience. Perhaps Anton and Anna could swap songs next week (Anna did "I just want to be loved by you" by Marilyn Monroe). It could be interesting.

A special mention of Sylvia the ironing lady. She might not be the best singer, but she showed courage and determination in the face of difficulties. Well done her.

Can't wait for next week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 am 
Forum Admin

2.00 am..
and just home ..(oh my god)
yes paul , you summed it up very well ,, I loved to the guy in the denim shorts
doing the heavy metal song , what courage !!!
but I think its more open than you say .. wait till next week , the judges will throw in a few surprises,
its going to take a bit more than good looks to win this . ;)

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm 

Singing Contest

I can't see what all the fuss is over Anna. OK, she's got long hair and a good sense of humour over her outfits but for me the best singers are Catherine and Irene for the women and Arthur for the guys.

Irene is good at showmanship or should that be showpersonship? but I think Catherine could be the dark horse in the competition, she sings her songs with great feeling, Jar of Hearts gives me chills and with a bit more pzazz she'd give Irene a run for her money.

As Neil says though, wait and see what the judges think but my money's on the little soulful one - any takers?

Lee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:37 pm 
Forum Admin

What about the long haired male ?? ,, the Russin in the denim shorts :shock:
Now that was a performance .. :lol:

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Forum Admin

ok , the judging starts tomorrow , who will be the shakers and who
will be the movers ??
A great night out for everyone ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:09 pm 
Forum Admin

looks like tonight will be a full house again , I have been informed by telephone,
that we are getting a visit from a few well known paphos celebrities tonight ..
:congrats

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 pm 

Watching the show online from Larnaca tonight as working there tomorrow. Noticed very few fellow online viewers - only 18 when I was online - hopefully everyone's at Friends Bar supporting.

Certainly beats Eurovision in my books - spent the evening with another guy in the bar trying to work out which countries each person could represent - Dmitry has to be a Baltic State with that hair - probably Anton too. Elena is probably a Switzerland but then so is Jan I think. Can they have two entries? Artur has got to be France despite singing a Spanish song but we couldn't agree on Catherine - she's probably a bit like the UK where they put a great act into the competition which all the judges ignore - hope she doesn't get UK style points!!

Sylvia has got to be the fun entry - a little like a Scandinavian country and Anna, well I'm not sure where she'd represent - probably Italy with all that glamour - bit of scandal now... - is it me or has Matthew gone off her a little these days? I think he called her a marshmallow tonight!! All is not lost though as I hear she's bringing out a 'dancersize' video soon!

Irina was great again - definitely an Irish entry - they win so often, but for me again I think top of the tree tonight was Catherine. I think the song was Pussy Cat Dolls but after being a pussy cat for the last three weeks she came out like a tiger tonight - can that girl move when she wants to? and she looked great in that dress. Come on judges, it's got to be between the two of them - let's just hope they can be 'swayed'!!

Bottom line - Great show - can't wait until next week for my next fix!

Lee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 am 
Top of the pops

Just back from tonight's event. Another great evening. A few teething problems with the sound and some screaming kids, but the contestants took it all in their stride.

So what is my view of the performances?

Well, for me the best performance of the evening by far was Irina. Confidence, stage presence and a great voice. She had it all. I have a joint second place between 4 contestants, Catherine, Jan, Anna, and Doug. Doug (Tanny) was the most improved and is looking far more confident. Anna looked more fabulous than ever, but I have to admit she does need to get a bit of movement going. She does look fabulous though.

Of course there is the wild card, Anton. Russian heavy metal singing (well, shouting really) and using the whole room, not just the stage. He is right out there in left field, but who knows.

A special mention should be made of Stevie Dean who was on fire tonight. Wonderful.

Six weeks to go. Time for anything to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:38 pm 
Top of the pops

Being the first time in front of Judges there was extra nerves fluttering, but everybody gave their all and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Its amazing that so many novices can get up in front of an audience and internet crowd without any alcohol or other stimulae.

Well done the organisers, the show is evolving into a great entertainment.

Next week promises to be full of more surprises, all I can say is its a wonderful world..... ;)

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 pm 
Forum Admin

NEWS FLASH ;;;;

This weeks can`t sing won`t sing episode (week 5) has been announced as a
Carnival Special , all contestants for the show will be dressed in carnival outfits and even the shows presenter Mr Matthew Edmondson will be dressed to kill ,
(Lady Ga Ga , eat your heart out) an extravaganza show not to be missed ..
Remember if you are out of the country and cannot make it to sundays event,
you can always watch the live stream on www.paphospeople.com

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:56 am 
Forum Admin

UPDATE;
Click on the cant sing wont sing banner , then scroll down the left hand side
you will find all the contestant names , click on the names and you can now watch videos
from the very first night , we will be updating the videos so that you can se how the paphos cant sing wont sing
contestants have progressed over the weeks ..
also look out for the paphos cant sing wont sing , blog coming soon ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:56 pm 
Forum Admin

Week 5
Tonight is the carnival extravaganza ..
.... not to be missed ..
:banana

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:51 am 
Top of the pops

Just back from week 5. An excellent evening with many of the contestants showing great improvement. It just gets better and better. Irina is still the one to beat in my view, but with the improvements shown by some of the others it is still anyone's to win.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:26 am 
Top of the pops

Some great entertainment, some fab costumes and great performances by all. Sylvia has come on leaps and bounds and with a smile,
Catherine is like a song bird,
Jan hit 'Big Spender' just right,
Anna showed just what leopard skin leotards were designed for,
Nicos has improved greatly every week.
Dimas Dylan is better and better,
Anton is Anton.
Elenas Mama Maria is a real floor stomper
Artur nailed Gang Nam Style and with moves to kill.
Sasha sang both tracks flawlessly with some lovely backing.
Iryna wasnt as good as other weeks, maybe the birth of kittens was on her mind.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 pm 

Back in my favourite seat at Friends Bar this week for the show and what a show it was. It was themed as ‘Carnival’ even though we’re a week away and we had the host – supposedly dressed as Lady Gaga but more Dame Edna, and the contestants in a random set of outfits which on times were a bit off-putting when they were completely alien to the song. OK, I can get Anna in a cat outfit doing ‘I Wanna be Loved by You’ but Irina dressed as Captain Pugwash for ‘All That Jazz’ and Doug as a pole dancing nun?

There were problems AGAIN with the sound. It must be very distracting for the performers when the technician is constantly changing the levels – I felt sorry for Catherine on her second song where I think Dave, the sound guy, was trying a complete range of his special effects from echo to whisper via booming! Sort it out before the show guys, it’s beginning to look unprofessional.

Some great performances this week; Sylvia decided to out-Matthew Matthew, taking over the compering and being funnier than the funny man himself. Her songs weren’t half bad and if the voting goes on scale of improvement I can see Sylvia splashing out on a new 500 euro ironing board by the end of the show.

Anton was as mad as ever and Nikos is trying to be Anton mark II – Matthew even suggested Nikos duets with him! Now that would be fun!

The Russian contingent, bless them, mostly seem to go for ‘Monsters of Rock’ songs and on the whole they do them well but can we have some variety please?

Jan sang beautifully – if the competition was just about singing, she’d be in with a shout, whilst Catherine stunned the audience with a powerful version of I Dreamed a Dream from Les Mis, prompting one of the judges to say she was better than Anne Hathaway! Praise indeed! I think Anne still edges it on the haircut though!

There were some disappointments and a few I had down to do well seem to be fading now the competition hots up. You can see who’s been doing their homework but I’m still not sure of the basis on which the judges will decide the winner as Josef and Neil say, it’s still anyone’s for the taking.

See you all next week!

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:46 am 
Junior

Can anyone tell me where abouts the friends bar is, we've booked a taxi to come down this Sunday night but they don't know where it is.
Thanks Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:48 pm 
Forum Admin

its in bar street , next to rainbow nightclub ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm 
Junior

Neil wrote:
its in bar street , next to rainbow nightclub ..

Ok thanks Neil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 pm 
Top of the pops

It was another great night. Wasn't quite the same without Matthew as MC, but I gather he will be back next week. Not such obvious improvements so perhaps people are reaching their plateau, but still difficult to select a winner. I must say the sound was much better with Oxana in control.

What did others think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm 
Forum Admin

thought it was tops as normal , I liked the better sound system , oxana worked it well ..

Getting lots of offers to runn the same type of event at other venues .... I told oxana NO ,NO.NO. ..
We need a break ..

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 pm 
Top of the pops

What a fabulous observation Josef. The whole idea is about competition for most improved individual. Many may have hit a plateau but the mentors will try to work them through it. I saw improvement last night in Nicos and Sasha in particular. Sylvia handled the songs and crowd much better, Catherine completed a very difficult song well.
Dimas hold on Bob Dylan is as good as Dylan got so theres not much room for improvement.
Anna wiggled around a little more (I did notice that :oops: ) and sounded louder.
Jan sounded sweet and precise as ever.
Elena got the room bumping to Ma Ma Maria
Anton was ballistic as normal but more controlled.
Iryna Jazzed all that jazz.
Tanny was grumpy.

Looking forward to some good duets next week and seeing how people adapt to singing together.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:28 pm 
Forum Admin

Tonight looks like its gonna be a blinder of a night , Tonight is Duet night ..
yes thats what I said ,
the contestants will be pairing up to sing some fantastic Duet favorites , dont miss out
on a great night out ...

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:29 pm 
Top of the pops

Yes, get along tonight. Ive heard through the grapevine that there may be some BBC reporters there to listen to tales of woe also.

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:49 pm 
Top of the pops

What a great night it was. An inspired matching of contestants for the duets produced some excellent, if unexpected, moments. As to the solo performances, nearly all the contestants raised their game. So much for my view that many had reached their plateau.

It's not so easy to pick the winner now. Iryna, Catherine, Alexander and Jan seem to be the one's to watch at the moment, but things can change week by week.

Great to have Matthew back, and the technical problems are far behind us now.

I'm really looking forward to the final few weeks. Get down there, it's worth the journey.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:57 pm 
Forum Admin

Can`t Drink Won`t Drink. :doh
What A fantastic night , but my heading says it all , I wont be doing that to often ..

Only 2 weeks to go and its getting very hot ...
:greetings

or half empty ? .
I drank it .....
The opportunist..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:04 pm 
Top of the pops

What a great evening. A shame Iryna had to work and couldn't attend, but the rest all put on a good show and gave of their best. Catherine was on fantastic form and gave a performance that would put many of the professional singers on the Paphos circuit to shame. Jan was much better than she thinks she is, and gave a lovely and gently sexy performance. Anna singing Barbie Girl was a wonderful moment. Can't wait for next week.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body