The Paphos and District Information Site

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:16 am

Can't Sing - Wont Sing banner

the Best Quiz Nights in Paphos Banner

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Major

My Grandchildren are coming over to stay for the half term and I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can take them for Halloween.

Post subject: Re: Halloween
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:44 pm 
Top of the pops

Try Tommy Tuckers, rumour has it the proprietor will be dressing up....

Live your dreams.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am 

I assume you're looking for something on Halloween night itself? The few events I'm aware of are happening tomorrow, Sat 27th. Cypriots don't traditionally celebrate Halloween so not that many places are doing a Halloween thing. I believe the schools don't do half terms so the few things that are happen are mostly this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:08 pm 
Rock Star

If you listen to Rock FM you would think that there a lots of Halloween parties going on.

Never meant anything to us, pure Yankee rubbish.

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:02 pm 

If you are still looking for something to do on Halloween, I saw the kiosks at the harbour selling a Halloween cruise on the Ocean Flyer, with entertainment & food included & fancy dress optional! Sounds fun, it's just a shame I get sea sick :puke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:34 pm 
Rock Star

emgeeb wrote:
If you listen to Rock FM you would think that there a lots of Halloween parties going on.

Alan

We celebrated Halloween in Scotland in the 40's and 50's and it had been going on long before then. It only got big in America in the 60"s

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:29 pm 
Top of the pops

I also celebrated Halloween in Scotland as a child in the 50's and it was much more fun than it has become due to the Americans version of demanding money with menaces Lol.
We had to knock on the door and either sing a song or recite a poem for which we received a sweet,cake,piece of fruit or if really lucky,some cash! We had a hotel at the end of the road and I remember my brother and I going in there and entertaining the diners ( very embarrassing) but it paid off as most gave us money!
Much nicer the Scottish way,you had to do something to earn it,not just dress up and hold your hand out at the door.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:30 pm 

emgeeb wrote:

Alan

What a load of tosh!!

Halloween or Hallowe'en (a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening"), also known as All Hallows' Eve, is though the origin of the word Halloween is Christian, the holiday is commonly thought to have pagan roots. Historian Nicholas Rogers, exploring the origins of Halloween, notes that while "some folklorists have detected its origins in Roman feast of Pomona, the goddess of fruits and seeds, or in the festival of the dead called Parentalia, it is more typically linked to the Celtic festival of Samhain", which comes from the Old Irish for "summer's end". Samhain (pronounced SAH-win or SOW-in) was the first and most important of the four quarter days in the medieval Gaelic (Irish, Scottish and Manx) calendar. It was held on or about October 31 – November 1 and kindred festivals were held at the same time of year in other Celtic lands; for example the Brythonic Calan Gaeaf (in Wales), Kalan Gwav (in Cornwall) and Kalan Goañv (in Brittany). Samhain is mentioned in some of the earliest Irish literature and many important events in Irish mythology happen or begin on Samhain. It marked the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the 'darker half' of the year. This was a time for stock-taking and preparing for the cold winter ahead; cattle were brought back down from the summer pastures and livestock were slaughtered. In much of the Gaelic world, bonfires were lit and there were rituals involving them. Some of these rituals hint that they may once have involved human sacrifice. Divination games or rituals were also done at Samhain.

Samhain (like Beltane) was seen as a time when the 'door' to the Otherworld opened enough for the souls of the dead, and other beings such as fairies, to come into our world. The souls of the dead were said to revisit their homes on Samhain. Feasts were had, at which the souls of dead kin were beckoned to attend and a place set at the table for them. Lewis Spence described it as a "feast of the dead" and "festival of the fairies". However, harmful spirits and fairies were also thought to be active at Samhain. People took steps to allay or ward-off these harmful spirits/fairies, which is thought to have influenced today's Halloween customs. Before the 20th century, wearing costumes at Samhain was done in parts of Ireland, Mann, the Scottish Highlands and islands, and Wales. Wearing costumes may have originated as a means of disguising oneself from these harmful spirits/fairies, although some suggest that the custom comes from a Christian or Christianized belief (see below). In Ireland, people went about before nightfall collecting for Samhain feasts and sometimes wore costumes while doing so. In the 19th century on Ireland's southern coast, a man dressed as a white mare would lead youths door-to-door collecting food; by giving them food, the household could expect good fortune from the 'Muck Olla'. In Moray during the 18th century, boys called at each house in their village asking for fuel for the Samhain bonfire. The modern custom of trick-or-treating may have come from these practices. Alternatively, it may come from the Christian custom of souling (see below).

Making jack-o'-lanterns at Halloween may also have sprung from Samhain and Celtic beliefs. Turnip lanterns, sometimes with faces carved into them, were made on Samhain in the 19th century in parts of Ireland and the Scottish Highlands. As well as being used to light one's way while outside on Samhain night, they may also have been used to represent the spirits/fairies and/or to protect oneself and one's home from them. However, a Christian origin has also been proposed.

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:03 pm 

Jan asked for advice on halloween partys here, so what Scotland over 50yrs ago got to do with it?
If you don't have an answer then say nowt. :tickedoff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:42 am 
Rock Star

Jan asked for advice on halloween partys here, so what Scotland over 50yrs ago got to do with it?

The fact that it was described as pure yankee rubbish when it manifestly isn't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:45 am 

Nimrod wrote:
If you don't have an answer then say nowt. :tickedoff

Maybe you should follow your own advice since you don't seem to offer any halloween party advice . :grin: :grin:

Jan....maybe too old for kids but Millenium Gold in Coral Bay has a halloween party tonight (Wednesday)

“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm 

Shamrock - the Irish Bar at the triangle has Halloween night - Stammy with live music.
Red Rose Pub - harbour area - also with live music.
Dark Angel - the bike bar in town and live music.

I assuming most of these are adult(y) things.

Paphos people botton - viewtopic_body